Newly Hired Employees and Onboarding
Campus Shared Services Human Resources/Academic Personnel Support (CSS HR/APS) provides coordination for the onboarding paperwork and benefits counseling for newly hired UC Berkeley employees for the campus units we support.
We are committed to working with campus departments to ensure all new employees are onboarded in a timely fashion and we will:
- Coordinate pre-employment screenings and background checks
- Send welcome emails and first day packages
- Conduct in-person onboarding sessions to complete the necessary hiring paperwork and provided counseling regarding benefits
- If your department has a unique need that cannot be addressed through normal Onboarding processes, please let us know by creating an online service request in ServiceNow (or contact the CSS HR First Contact Team at 510-664-9000, option 3) so we can work together to look at other options.
New Employee Onboarding and Benefits Orientation Sessions
Onboarding (hiring) sessions for new UC Berkeley employees are conducted (on campus) each week on Mondays and Fridays (only) at Evans Hall. Though Evans Hall will not be staffed by CSS on Tues-Wed-Thurs, our CSS HR/APS First Contact Team is available to help campus customers. Just create an online service request in ServiceNow.
Need help with mass-hiring onboarding of 10 or more new hires? We’ll still work with you to help you plan for these in advance; typically around 30 days ahead of time so that we can reserve your date/time and provide ample time for your new hires to attend.
Here is the current Onboarding and Benefits Orientation schedule:
|Mondays and Fridays|
|8:30 AM||Onboarding Hiring Session (for staff)|
|10:00 AM||Career Staff/Academic (Non-Post Doc) Benefits Orientation (Mondays only)
Post Doc Benefits Orientation (Fridays only)
|12:30 PM||Onboarding Hiring Session (for students)|
|1:30 PM||Onboarding Hiring Session (for students)|
|2:30 PM||Onboarding Hiring Session (for students)|
|3:30 PM||Onboarding Hiring Session (for Visiting Scholars and Postdocs)|
|* When a holiday falls on a Monday or Friday, we will offer a session the day prior or the day after the holiday.|
Other details to ensure a positive experience for new UC Berkeley employees:
- Proactively coordinate hire/start dates for new employees for either a Monday or a Friday; this includes offer letters.
- Leverage the information and tools on the UCnet Compensation and Benefits website. Submit complete and accurate hire requests (via ServiceNow) with all necessary attachments for background checks (e.g., signed IOC and job descriptions, etc.) and hire request forms to avoid any delays in sending an Onboarding session invitation to new employees. Plus, we’ll now update those Background Check details in ServiceNow.
- New UC Berkeley employees will still complete the majority of their paperwork electronically using DocuSign and will also schedule their Onboarding appointments online.
Additional Resources for New Employees
There are many Follow-up Resources and Checklists for new UC Berkeley employees to take advantage of — you can find them here.
Campus units still need to provide newly hired employees with information about local policies and procedures, building access, timesheets, emergency plans, etc.