2017 Summer Salary Information
April 11, 2017
For eligible faculty with available funding that can be used for summer ninths compensation (such as sponsored awards/grants, start-up funds, etc.), this is the time of year when Campus Shared Services (CSS) needs information to set up summer salary payments.
Action to Take:
Faculty served by Team 2/ERSO (College of Engineering, Blum Center, CITRIS, Simons Institute, and School of Information) should contact the Team 2 Research Administrator who supports them, or contact Team 2 Contract & Grant Managers for assistance. For specific instructions, please refer to the ERSO website.
- CSS RA assignments can be found here: https://phoebe.rac.berkeley.edu/search (On the landing page, search by faculty name to locate the “investigator record;” it should include the RA name(s) and contact information.)
Faculty not supported by a CSS Research Administrator should work with staff in their academic unit/department to complete and submit their summer salary request to CSS for processing.
Ideally, all requests for summer salary should be made prior to Monday, May 1, 2017; however, we realize that this may not be possible. Requests submitted for processing — by either a CSS Research Administrator or by departmental staff, on behalf of the faculty — prior to the first of the month will be paid on the next monthly exempt pay date. For example:
- For payment on June 1 (for effort in May), prior to 5/1/2017
- For payment on June 30 (for effort in June and/or May), prior to 6/1/2017
- For payment on August 1 (for effort in July, June, and/or May), prior to 7/3/2017
- For payment on September 1 (for effort in August, July, June, and/or May), prior to 8/1/2017
- 2017 Summer Salary Guidelines (.pdf) – salary guidelines by summer month, NIH and NSF salary limitations, use of unrestricted funds, attestation instructions, etc.
- 2017 Summer Salary Frequently Asked Questions (.pdf)
- 2017 Summer Salary Process Map (.pdf) – process, roles, and responsibilities
For Departmental Staff:
For faculty not supported by CSS RA, based on feedback received from prior years, we’ll continue to offer a way for departments to submit requests on their faculty’s behalf directly into a Summer Salary Smartsheet (similar to that used for ASE/GSR appointment requests). This provides departments with visibility into the progress and completion of their requests, as well as eliminate duplicative entries and reduce errors. Designated departmental staff will receive Smartsheet access, instructions, tutorials, and other resources.
CSS Research Administration is available to answer questions regarding salary caps, CBR rates and adjustments, ‘PC mapping’, and the attestation policy. Please contact either of the following CSS RA managers with questions:
Questions regarding the 2017 Summer Salary process can be referred to CSS Human Resources/Academic Personnel Support (HR/APS) at 664-9000, option 3 or through ServiceNow, your department’s CSS HR/APS Partner, or your Research Administrator.